To provide all students with an outstanding education in a nurturing yet challenging environment that fosters
academic achievement, healthy social and emotional development, enthusiasm for education, and a life-long love for learning.
Regular meetings of the Winchester School Committee are usually scheduled for 7:00 PM on the 2nd & 4th Tuesday of each month from September through June at the Parkhurst School, Conference Room, 40 Samoset Road, Winchester.
The Committee meetings are usually carried live on WinCAM and rebroadcast on the local cable channel - Comcast 22/Verizon 36. Prior meetings are also streamed on WinCAM under Municipal Meetings.
The Winchester School Committee consists of five members elected for three-year terms, so arranged that as nearly an equal number of terms as possible expire each year. The Superintendent, Assistant Superintendent, and Financial Officer, sit at the meeting table but are not members of the committee and do not participate in votes. The minutes of the Committee are taken by the Committee Secretary who also sits at the table.
The Committee has the powers and duties as given to it by the Constitution and General Laws of the Commonwealth and such additional powers as authorized by Home Rule Charter and other Town Meeting votes. The School Committee duties include:
1. Establish goals and policies for the Winchester School System relating to education and insuring that the policies are implemented by the Administration.
2. Appoint the Superintendent of the Winchester Public Schools.
3. Make all reasonable rules and regulations, consistent with law, for the administration and management of the Winchester Public Schools.
4. Responsible for review and approval of the Winchester school system annual budget.
5. Responsible for negotiating all contracts with the Winchester Educational Association (WEA).
Michelle Bergstrom, Chair
24 Central Street
Brian Vernaglia, Vice-Chair
19 Sargent Road
130 Forest Street
28 Water Street
Karen Maruyama Bolognese
27 Pilgrim Drive