Dear WPS Families and Staff Members:
I hope your summer is off to a wonderful start! We miss our students already, but expect to see several hundred Winchester teachers/administrators at Parkhurst in the coming weeks as they attend a wide variety of summer workshops and graduate courses. Our learning truly never ends.
I am writing with a brief update on some important district personnel changes and happenings.
- We have selected a replacement for Sean Walsh, the district's former personnel director, who has left Winchester for a position much closer to his south shore home. We wish him all the best and bid a warm welcome to Laurie Kirby, who will move into the personnel director's role at central office from her current position as long-time principal of Muraco School. Many of you may know Laurie as a master teacher in Winchester for 18 years. In addition to her experience as a grade 4-6 teacher, Laurie has also worked as a principal for 12 years and has chaired several district-level projects as she completed her assistant superintendent/superintendent certification. Laurie will provide outstanding support for our 500+ employees in the district.
- I am pleased to announce that current McCall Middle School assistant principal Leslie West has agreed to accept the interim principal role at Muraco School for 2017-2018. Leslie is a life-long Winchester resident, an experienced teacher/coordinator for grades 1-8, and has been a key member of the McCall Middle School leadership team since 2010. Please join me in welcoming her to this new role at Muraco School. We expect to hire an interim assistant principal to replace her at McCall Middle School this summer.
- Central registration has arrived! Cindy Gallagher is our central office registrar. Families with students new to Winchester should make our offices at Parkhurst their first stop for registration beginning 7/11/17.
- We also welcome this summer to our central office team: John Allegretto as our new network administrator, Nancy Weiss as transportation/facility coordinator, and Ellen Whittemore as our new director of finance and operations. Contact information for all central office personnel is available on our website at http://winchesterps.org/contact_us/index.php
- We want to remind all families that the Winchester High School site is closed for the summer as we work hard to remove modular classrooms, complete paving/planting, and get the building ready for September's opening. If you have questions about high school programs, please contact WHS personnel by e-mail to set a time to speak or meet offsite.
Until we meet next, I hope you are able to make time for some adventures, get some rest, and enjoy great family fun. The countdown begins: you have about eight weeks until you return to us, refreshed and ready, to begin the 2017-2018 school year!
Judith A. Evans, Ed.D.