As part of our annual enrollment review, the school committee approved open enrollment for some grade levels at three of the district's elementary schools for 2018-2019: Ambrose, Muraco, and Vinson-Owen. Open enrollment is designed to encourage equalized class sizes across the district. There are NO open enrollment seats available for incoming K students and current grade 4 and 5 students. Between two and four open enrollment seats are available in grades 1-3, as follows:
- Grade 1 at both Ambrose and Vinson-Owen
- Grade 2 at Muraco
- Grade 3 at Vinson-Owen.
Parents interested in applying to transfer from your assigned school to one of these available openings should complete an open enrollment application within the next two weeks: https://goo.gl/forms/fE5rWBxyWDB2eYHX2 If more applications are received than we have spaces, a lottery will be held by the end of the school year to fill slots. One application should be submitted for each student who wishes to transfer to an open seat. Once accepted, students are expected to remain at the new school until the end of grade 5 and families are expected to transport to the new school.
- The McCall expansion project is well underway, with the Phase I addition of three new classrooms scheduled to be ready for fall occupancy.
- The FY19 district budget was recently approved at town meeting. This is a level-service budget that maintains reasonable class sizes and programs, but does not support new initiatives or programs, due to limited financial resources. Town and school officials agree that we are likely to need an operational override for our FY20 budgets.
- A survey was sent to elementary parents to help us plan for wrap-around care. Please take time to complete this so we can finish our planning.
- We have lots of great programs planned for the summer. Please check the website for more details: https://sites.google.com/a/winchesterps.org/wps-summer-enrichment/
- As always, our district Facebook page is a good source of information. I also post frequently on Twitter (@JudithEvans1).
- I hope to see you at one the district's many celebrations of student excellence and achievement in the coming weeks.